Sunday, November 11, 2012

Tutorial: Make a Logo or Initial Rug with Duct Tape

I wanted to have a really cool rug for my Jamberry Nails booth at the Holiday Bazaars this year.  I looked at some pretty awesome ones at IKEA, but I didn't want to spend that much money right now.  While shopping at Wal-Mart, I came across a small area rug in solid black for just $19.97.  I popped it in my cart and my head started whirling with the possibilities for making it awesome.

I thought about bleach dying.  I thought about making a stencil and using fabric paint.  I thought about hand painting it.  I thought about splatter painting it.  In the end, I thought too long and ran out of time!  So, I got a roll of neon pink duct tape and my x-acto knife and went to work.




 I started by rolling the rug out and smoothing the wrinkles out as much as possible.

Next, I grabbed an Application Kit so that I could "eyeball" the J from the logo.  I also repossessed a stick of sidewalk chalk from my older kids :)

Next, I sketched the J with chalk.  You can see it wasn't centered or large enough the first time!  (Help from adorable baby eating goldfish crackers while you work is entirely optional.)
After I started laying down the duct tape, I realized that the curved edges were going to need some TLC.  Here's a short video of how I did them:


At spots where there was a severe curve, I cut the tape and started a new strip.

Once I was done, I left it in this sunny room so that the wrinkles would smooth out better.
I think that it turned out pretty good!  If I were doing a second one, I think that I would do straight strips and free-hand cut the letter with my X-acto knife, but I also think that would take more time and patience!

Resources:





1 comment:

  1. It’s nice to watch the new way of painting the ones. The color and the decoration felt something like in the fairy and somewhere ‘Alice in Wonderland’ is remembered!!!
    DustTape

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me! I read every comment and do my best to visit your blog and look around!

Don't stop - there's lots more good stuff...

Related Posts with Thumbnails